Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Jakarta Project


Have you ever been to Jakarta? The first time I have been in this city is when I arrived in Indonesia. I was awed and impressed by this city because it is very modern and have a lot of places for shopping. If you want gimmick then Jakarta is the place for you. It is like Makati and Ortigas rolled into one. Shopping malls, retaurants, bars, discos, you name it, it's here. I stayed there for about three weeks and then I learned the bad side of Jakarta. The traffic is terrible! It is even worse here than in Manila! Trafic starts at around 630 am and lasts for the whole day! Its even worse during weekends.

Why is traffic so bad? Well, because there are a lot of vehicles and the roads are so narrow. And its home to 10 million people, meaning there are a million motorcycles on the road. They're like ants that just pop up anywhere. They're behind you, in front of you, by your side, everywhere! Good thing I don't drive here. If I did, it will be a lot of stress. And according to something I read, Jakartans don't lioke to take public transport and vehicle owners are growing by 10% a year! No wonder car companies used Jakarta as a test market.The good thing about it is, the drivers here are very patient and have tremendous self control. If a pinoy driver is in the same situation, there will have been some blood spilled because its crazy out there on the road. A regular 30 minute ride will be turned into a 2 hour nightmare because of the traffic. God, I miss color coding!


Tulad ng sabi nila, kung ayaw mo matrapik, umalis ka ng maaga!


But for shopping, Jakarta is the place to go. To live and work there is another question.

No comments: